Our users have posted a total of 41 messages in 35 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 108 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:48 pm
Welcome To Random Forum Topics

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:00 pm by Dan

Please refrain from posting illegal or commonly offensive material.

Comments: 1

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Affiliates
free forum

TV
Watch TV Online

Hearing Impaired vs Impaired Hearing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hearing Impaired vs Impaired Hearing

Post  Dan on Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:56 am

At times I get frustrated when talking with people who can't get a handle on a conversation unless every thought is fully spelled out.
Or even worse when speaking I think, is the need to continue on speaking until every last word of your thought is worked to completion.

Kind of like verbally throwing up.

You had a thought and formed your sentences, so now with no consideration for anything else, you must say everything you thought. Why bother thinking it if you can't say it right?

What I've learned over the years from working with deaf people and having a deaf sister, is less is almost always better than more.

Why would that be? Because when you are forced to use context, prior conversations, imagination and body language in a conversation
you are honing your ability to listen. I should make this a little more understandable. When I say priorconversations I mean knowing you or having a point of common awareness such as a sharing a nasty boss or being a neighbor,etc.

Listening with imagination is much more important that speaking or hearing if you really want a two way dialog.

In fact, it's made me lazy because I don't appreciate having to describe a thought in total detail and then possibly have to repeat the
whole thing after rephrasing it in order to suit the receptiveness of the person I'm talking with.

The simplest way I can describe how the process works for me is like this; You've formed a thought, compressed it to a few words and given it to me. I expand the thought by filling in the blanks using context, imagination, body language, and prior conversations to arrive at an approximation of what you said.

I believe there is a need for thoughtfully delivered speech. It is much more interesting for everyone involved. Plus you get to exercise
your brain.

Dan
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile http://generalforum.usersboard.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top